Comprehensive exams are your Rockville Centre general dentist’s first line of defense against all kinds of oral and overall health issues. Every exam is important, but the very first exam you have at The Dental Suite is especially crucial. It’s why we ask that you set aside a little extra time for us to get to know you and your smile. This first exam allows us to get to know you as an individual and not just some teeth that may need work. It also lets us achieve a full understanding of your dental history, what is happening in your mouth right now, and what your smile goals might be. If it has been a few years since your last x-rays or new issues are presenting themselves, we will recommend our low-radiation digital x-rays or panoramic x-rays. We will also:
- Check your soft tissue for any sign of inflammation
- Measure your gum pockets and examine for the tiniest signs of periodontal disease
- Screen for oral cancer
- Examine your teeth for even the tiniest cavity
- Look for any signs of wear or breakage
- Examine and evaluate your head, neck, and jaw structure
- Inspect for early, oral signs of overall health issues
- Check for signs of sleep apnea or TMJ disorder
Once we understand exactly what is going on in your mouth and body, we will work with you to create a personalized treatment plan to get your mouth in tip-top shape. Want to learn more about what makes comprehensive exams from Dr. Mariya Dayanayeva so special? Call us today!
Oral Cancer Screenings
Oral cancer is one of the fastest-growing cancers today. It is also a cancer that presents itself with very subtle and difficult to recognize symptoms. That’s why Dr. Mariya Dayanayeva and her team take regular oral cancer screenings so seriously. It’s also why we don’t just wait until your comprehensive exam to perform them. We do them at every visit! The Oral Cancer Foundation cautions that, “…the number has increased again, and OCF estimates that 53,000 Americans will be newly diagnosed with oral or oropharyngeal cancer in 2019. About 9,750 individuals will die from this cancer in 2019, also an increase over last year.” https://oralcancerfoundation.org/oral-oropharyngeal-incidence-rates-2017/
If you have any of the following symptoms listed on the Head and Neck Cancer Guide website, or it has been a while since your last dental exam or cleaning, please call to schedule an oral cancer exam right away:
- Painful sores in the mouth: Usually, an oral cavity cancer will start as a painful sore in the mouth. In some cases, a dentist or dental hygienist will see a sore in the mouth that the patient didn’t know was there.
- A patch in the mouth: A red patch (erythroplakia) in the mouth that lasts for more than a few weeks is more likely to be cancer than a white patch.
- Frequent bleeding in the mouth: This can happen when the cancer makes a hole in some part of the mouth (an ulcer) or if cancer cells are accidentally rubbed off while brushing teeth or eating certain foods.
- Bad breath: In rare cases, when cancer cells start to die, the dead cells can lead to a bad smell from the mouth called halitosis.
- Loose teeth or dentures that don’t fit correctly: This happens if the tumor gets into the tooth sockets or the bones where the teeth are rooted.
- Difficulty opening the mouth: This can happen if the cancer gets into any of the muscles that help to open and close the mouth. This is called trismus.
- Numbness (for example in the lower teeth or lower lip/chin area): This means the cancer cells have gotten into nerves that allow feeling.
- Pain or difficulty with swallowing: This can happen when tumors get large and either get in the way of eating or involve the muscles and nerves of swallowing. https://headandneckcancerguide.org/teens/cancer-basics/explore-cancer-types/oral-cancers/?gclid=CjwKCAjwk93rBRBLEiwAcMapUdU7a9g-okwugXfTAEEwwT8kHtvKHSskdJwFjFgZfE6Zw3PgHY0uyxoCC7YQAvD_BwE
Digital x-rays, both bitewing and panoramic, are quickly becoming standard in modern dental offices. Of course, Your Rockville Centre Dental Suite has them to support all of our general dentistry as well as our restorative, cosmetic, and orthodontic care. Why? Digital x-rays are not only more comfortable for our patients, they also provide a superior image while exposing you and our team to about 80 percent less radiation. Digital x-rays also provide Dr. Mariya Dayanayeva with flexibility that far surpasses traditional film x-rays. Those old x-rays were generally very small and viewed on a lightbox, while digital x-rays are viewed the size of a computer screen. And because they are digital, we can use the computer to enlarge and enhance the images of your teeth.
There is even a greener aspect to digital x-rays. Since we do not use chemicals to develop the film, digital x-rays involve fewer dangerous chemicals to harm the environment and less paper waste. Digital dental x-rays – just another way we care for your Rockville Centre family and our environment!
Ah! The feeling of clean teeth. There really isn’t anything like it. It is why regular hygiene visits are usually everyone’s favorite part of family dentistry in Rockville Centre. Dr. Dayanayeva and her team are always so gentle, while also being amazingly thorough, that patients young and old rave about the experience. One of the reasons dental hygiene cleanings from The Dental Suite are so fast, effective, and comfortable is the fact that we use ultrasonic scalers to achieve incredible cleaning results. Ultrasonic scalers are such cleaning powerhouses because they utilize sound waves to remove even the toughest tartar from both above and below the gum line. That means your teeth are more thoroughly protected against bacteria attacks and cavities. What’s more, regular, professional cleanings and proper at-home hygiene prevent embarrassing bad breath. Keep your teeth, your smile, and your body as healthy they should be. Experience ultrasonic dental cleanings, along with all your other regular general dentistry, right here in our comfortable Rockville Centre office.
Your gums may not be the first thing you think about when you decide you need to schedule an appointment with your Rockville Centre general dentist. They should be! Your gums are an often overlooked but utterly essential part of your smile. Your gums protect your teeth and the structures that hold them in place in the same way your skin protects your muscles, bones, and major organs. Even more interesting is a link we have mentioned before: The link between your gums and your overall physical health. Because your gums are a mucous membrane, they are permeable. That means that any infection or disease happening in them is going to go into your bloodstream, causing all kinds of issues including:
- Cardiovascular disease
- Pregnancy complications including preeclampsia, low birth weight babies, and even premature birth
- Lowered immune system
- Exacerbated diabetes
- Bad breath
- And more
If we detect infection, we will apply the antibiotic solution, Arestin®, directly into the pocket after it’s been scaled and planed to promote healing. We also utilize laser sterilization of your gum pockets to remove pesky, hard-to-eradicate, bacteria that cause gum disease. Your smile and your body will be protected and thriving in no time!
Dr. Mariya Dayanayeva and her team at The Dental Suite absolutely believe in the tooth-saving power of fluoride treatments. It’s why we offer them to everyone, not just kids. Fluoride is one of the most important elements available to protect your teeth. Not only is it naturally occurring, but it can also boost the remineralizing qualities of your own saliva! That’s vital because, according to the American Dental Association, “When you eat things like candy, crackers, or noodles, cavity-causing bacteria start feasting on the carbohydrates in these foods. This produces acids that attack your enamel. It causes calcium and phosphate to be stripped from the tooth enamel, leaving you more vulnerable to decay and cavities…However, saliva disrupts the attack as it coats your teeth and adds back calcium and phosphate to replace what had been stripped away. Once in your enamel, fluoride teams up with calcium and phosphate there to create the most powerful defense system your teeth can have to prevent cavities from forming: fluorapatite.”
We recommend professional fluoride treatments at every visit for adults and children alike. We also suggest that our patients use Fluoridex toothpaste every day.
Along with regular fluoride and other preventive, in-office general dentistry, We offer the simple and effective protection of custom-made dental mouthguards.
- Sports Mouthguards – Are you or your kids involved in sports or other physical activities? Active individuals can be prone to oral injuries. Even water sports are culprits! That’s why, along with the American Dental Association, The Dental Suite recommends the consistent use of sports mouthguards during all kinds of activities. “Studies have consistently shown reductions in orofacial injuries with the use of mouthguards, particularly custom-fitted mouth guards, in a wide range of active individuals including water polo players and elite commando fighters. A 2002 prospective study of 70,836 college basketball players found a rate of 0.12 dental injuries per 1,000 exposures in players wearing custom-fitted mouthguards, compared to a rate of 0.67 in players who didn’t wear a mouthguard. In a 2007 meta-analysis of 14 studies…, researchers found an increased risk of orofacial injury of 1.6 – 1.9 times in players who did not use a mouth guard of any type.” – https://www.ada.org/en/member-center/oral-health-topics/mouthguards
- Nightguards – Another kind of mouthguard recommended and designed by The Dental Suite is the bruxism guard or nightguard. These nightguards are custom made to fit your mouth perfectly and comfortably while you sleep, protecting your teeth – and your costly restorations – from damage caused by clenching and grinding. In many cases, these nightguards can also:
- Help prevent the clenching and grinding involved in bruxism
- Relieve pain associated with TMJ disorder
Wondering if you might need anesthesia to reduce your dental anxiety? You aren’t alone. According to a study conducted by DentaVox, one-third of the U.S. population avoids going to the dentist because of dental anxiety or fear and about 61 % of the respondents said they’re suffering from dental fear, with many claiming never to have been to a dentist at all because of anxiety. Here’s the good news: The use of dental anesthesia can dramatically reduce anxiety, ease pain, and help you get the dentistry you need. The Dental Suite and Dr. Mariya Dayanayeva have the proven benefits of nitrous oxide for a completely safe and soothing experience. Patients of all ages can enjoy this mild sedation with no side effects and no downtime. Often referred to as “laughing gas,” nitrous oxide:
- Is administered by breathing through a comfortable mask
- Produces a relaxed and mildly euphoric feeling
- Can be used on patients of all ages
- Is easily reversed with the administration of pure oxygen
Stop skipping your dental appointments! Ask us how our gentle-touch dentistry and sedation with nitrous oxide sedation can help you get your smile back!
Adults aren’t the only ones who need outstanding dental care. Kids do too! That’s why so many families choose dentistry from The Dental Suite. We offer both adult and pediatric dentistry starting at age 4. That means, once your little ones are acclimated to dentistry at a pediatric office, you can transfer their care to the general family dentist in Rockville Centre that you know, trust, and feel comfortable with. Pediatric dentistry from The Dental Suite is the ultimate in convenience with:
- Weekend hours perfect for working parents and busy kids
- A soothing and pampering atmosphere the whole family will enjoy
- Focus on information and education for parents and children alike
- Hands-on help with proper home hygiene and brushing skills for kids of all ages
- All the care you can ever need – including orthodontics and specialists that are brought right here to the office
- The gentle touch of Dr. Mariya Dayanayeva, a mother who knows the importance of a positive dental experience
If you have or are planning a family and want to learn more about our pediatric dentistry, please give us a call today!
Emergency dental care. When you need it, you really need it. And you want it from the dentist you know and trust at the office you feel safe in. Most of our patients say that if they had a choice, they would prefer to receive emergency care from their general family dentist in Rockville Centre, Dr. Mariya Dayanayeva. But even if you are not a patient of record at The Dental Suite, Dr. Dayanayeva is your ideal choice for emergency care. She is:
- Well known for her advanced training in all aspects of dentistry
- Sought after for her compassion and gentle touch
- Able and willing to bring specialists to you when necessary
- Open on the weekend… when emergencies seem to happen most!
So don’t worry if you’re:
- Crown cracks on an unexpected kernel of popcorn
- A front tooth breaks in an accident
- Teeth suddenly ache so much you can’t sleep
- An infection has flared beyond control
- You experience a dental fracture during contact sports
We’ve got you covered. Emergency care from The Dental Suite will soothe you back to health in no time!
Who doesn’t love technology! The entire team at The Dental Suite are big fans. It makes our work, from implant restoration to general dentistry easier and more effective. But what Dr. Dayanayeva really gets passionate about when it comes to dental technology in Rockville Centre is what it does for our patients. Dental technology:
- Helps us discover problems in their earliest stages
- Allows us to show patients what’s happening in their mouths, up close and personal
- Educate patients of all ages about their oral health
- Speed both treatment and healing
- Remove the need for scalpels and stitches in many procedures
- Reduce pain and discomfort
The advanced dental technology used at The Dental Suite includes:
- Intraoral Cameras – these tiny, pen-sized cameras allow us to see into all the nooks and crannies of your mouth. In the past, oral examinations were done with a handheld mirror and only dentists could see what they were looking at. The innovation of intraoral cameras suddenly allowed new visuals for doctors and patients alike! The camera projects enlarged, color images to the computer screen in real-time. This allows both you and the doctor to clearly see exactly what is happening – even in the darkest recesses of your mouth. Kids love it!
- Soft Tissue Laser – the introduction of lasers in dentistry has caused a health revolution! With a sweep of light, we can:
- Heal and reduce cold sore and lesions
- Thoroughly clean gum pockets of periodontal infection
- Sculpt gums for gum recontouring or crown lengthening
- Perform painless frenectomies
If you’d like to learn more about how dental technology from Mariya Dayanayeva, your general family dentist in Rockville Centre, give us a call. we’d be happy to show you around the office and talk to you about anything you are interested in.